Wednesday, August 1, 2012

It's not about the device.

It's not about the device. It's what you do with it.

Let me re-phrase that. It's actually a combination of what you can do with it, as well as what you actually do with it.

I attended a professional learning opportunity recently and was blown away by the tablet I saw. The presenter talked about it as technology without limitations. It is a full-blown computer that I can use as I want to, when I want to, without having to think too hard about the technology. If I want to write with a pen, I can do that. If I want to mark up my text with highlighting and notes, I can do that. If I want to have several things going at the same time, I can do that too. I do not have to think about how to do it; it allows me to work without limitations. That is important to me. I don't want the device to rule what I do.

I want to be able to create, collaborate, communicate, and critically think about the world around me.

The device needs to get out of my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment